Rich Street Bridge
The iconic design is a centerpiece for Columbus, Ohio’s thriving downtown riverfront.
Inside the Project
The Rich Street Bridge serves as a centerpiece for the City of Columbus downtown riverfront. This 562-foot 5-span structure was constructed as a precast and post-tensioned, concrete rib arch, on reinforced concrete piers and abutments. Kokosing erected 68 precast arch beam segments and installed a 3-part post-tensioning system totaling 364,000-pounds to tie all arch segments and beams together.
Along with the appealing aesthetics of the structure, electrical and communication links are built into the sidewalks, and architectural lighting was installed both above and below the bridge deck to light up the structure at night.
This bridge has been the recipient of multiple awards:
- Portland Cement Association (PCA) National Design Award of Excellence, 2014
- Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) Design Award All Precast Solution, 2014
- Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) Main Span from 76-419 feet, 2014
- American Society of Highway Engineers (ASHE), Project of the Year, 2013
- Association for Bridge Construction and Design (ABCD), Outstanding New Short Span Bridge, 2013
- American Society of Highway Engineers (ASHE), Peer’s Choice for Outstanding Project, 2012
- American Society of Highway Engineers (ASHE), Outstanding Highway Project, Greater than $3 million, 2012
- James B. Beechie Design & Preservation Award, 2012