Transportation Restoration Of The Catoctin Aqueduct


  • This contract provides for the complete restoration of the historic Catoctin Aqueduct, originally built starting in 1832, completed in 1834.
  • The Catoctin Aqueduct, originally part of the Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O) Canal, is located on the historically important site where the C&O Canal and the B&O Railroad competed to cross Catoctin Creek
  • The contract requires that the historic structure, one of 11 stone aqueducts along the 184 miles of the C&O Canal, appear as it did when first built
  • The stone structure had two 20’ arches and one center 40’ elliptical arch, all of which had collapsed
  • All the remaining original stone is being reused in building the new arches, with new stone mixed in only where necessary
  • The age of the structure presented challenges, causing continuous design changes due to changes in site conditions
  • The size of the watershed drained by Catoctin Creek presented additional challenges
  • In early December, 2010, a 2 inch rain caused the creek level to rise approximately 12 feet in a 12 hour period; it took 3 days for the water recede to a level where work could continue safely
  • Popular with the biking/hiking public, truck escorts and flaggers have maintained pedestrian and biker access to the towpath throughout the duration of the project
  • Scheduled for completion in  late summer, 2011
  • Project Owner:
    US Department of the Interior, National Park Service
  • Location:
    C&O Canal National Historical Park, Maryland